[Pharo-users] [ANN] Windows support for GitFileTree

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 03:36:13 EDT 2015

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Thierry Goubier <
> thierry.goubier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hernàn,
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the use of ssh-agent. Could it interfere with
>> someone using his own keys (i.e. without ssh-agent)? Would this be
>> necessary for linux or mac use of ssh-agent, or is ssh / git correctly done
>> on those platforms to query ssh-agent on its own if it is already running?
>>

> I'm using ssh-agent on both windows and linux, and having aforementioned
> variables (SSH_AGENT_PID, SSH_AUTH_SOCK) in the environment is enough for
> git to automatically use it, no need to prefix it.

This is what I expected. Is that different under Windows?

> In any case I have notes about the implementation:
>
> 1. it assumes that it runs only on windows (it looks like this should be
> generic code)

Well, as you said above, the environment under Linux/Mac takes care of the
interaction with ssh-agent... so there is no need to handle that on the
Linux/Mac side (OSProcess) versus Windows (ProcessWrapper).

> 2. it assumes that ssh-agent will be always installed in a specific path,
> it should rely on PATH instead

Noted.

> 3: Windows has its own system for global env variables, so why not use
> that?
> So instead of doing some process lookups you simply get
> $Env:SSH_AUTH_SOCK" (well, I use powershell... but the bat version is I
> think %SSH_AUTH_SOCK%)

But the thing is: if I can query for environment variables in Windows, then
so can the git command as well, which would mean it would pick-up the use
of ssh-agent, no? Or should I try to manipulate the process

Anyway, I appreciate you're having a look at it. Thanks!

Thierry