[Pharo-users] Better Code Completion

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:16:58 EDT 2015

> On 06 Oct 2015, at 15:53, Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at web.de> wrote:

>> On 06 Oct 2015, at 15:23, Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at web.de <mailto:nicolaihess at web.de>> wrote:

>>> On 06 Oct 2015, at 1:33 , Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at web.de <mailto:nicolaihess at web.de>> wrote:

>>> On 10/06/2015 09:09 AM, Nicolai Hess wrote:
>>>  > Since Object has almost 500 methods whatever I will start typing
>>> Object/TClass/TBehavior/... will have a list of answers...
>>>
>>> I think this is difficult, even though this classes are big and you
>>> don't use most of the methods,
>>>

>>> Hi Nicolai,
>>> imagine that code-completion is a game and the computer wins, if the user mostly uses the first few proposals. perhaps one could program several different heuristics, that decide, what the user wants. depending on the user choices, the weights for these heuristics get updated accordingly and then the choices get sorted with those weights. this way the code-completion could adapt to the way each user works?
>>>

>>> Yes this would be nice, but it is not an easy task.
>>>
>>> werner
>>>

>> I thought we already had something like that...
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/OCompletion/ <http://www.squeaksource.com/OCompletion/>
>>
>> I can not load it in a recen pharo image.
>> Is it used in recent versions of squeak?
>
> OCompletion is already in the image (since Pharo 2.0).
> if you check your settings, under "Code Completion”, Controller… it should say NOCController.
>
> Funny, I always thought the NOC-Classes are some kind of "Old" NEC-Classes.
>
> Is a lot better than older NECController, but still far from good enough.
>
> Some more information on this? What is missing.

ECompletion was just a list of matching classes/selectors
OCompletion added some candy like showing first last typed entries (with some other heuristic). AFAIR It was scanning changes file to do it so Camilo changed it to do something more “image based” (and fast), but we never got happy with the results.
IMO older version was a bit better (but do not be mistaken: it was just “a bit” better… we changed it because Marcus hated it, and I think he still does :P)

So there you have… we need a real completion tool, I agree…  :)

Esteban