[Pharo-users] Spec LabelModel's #font: and other styles

Johan Fabry jfabry at dcc.uchile.cl
Fri Oct 2 09:12:57 EDT 2015

I think it is better to avoid setting absolute style info for labels, e.g. font size and color. This because system settings allow you to set, e.g. font size systemwide, and it would be ugly if suddenly some labels don’t obey. Now, what could be done is to set some attributes like ‘bigger’, ‘smaller’, et cetera, and these should then take the system settings into account.

> On Oct 2, 2015, at 08:47, Peter Uhnák <i.uhnak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does it make sense to be able to specify font and similar  at Spec-level?
>
> And not just font, also the size, color, or emphasis (which currently only emphasis is supported).
>
> From one perspective it's handy, because I can change it at a whim, however I wonder whether this shouldn't be responsibility of some styler instead.
>
> Text as far as I know is capable of storing styled information. This would enable to outsource the style information to someone else (e.g. your stylesheet). However from practical perspective for the end user it would be extra work as it would add an indirection step.
>
> For TextModel that would be clearly better (because you might want to style different parts of text differently), however for LabelModel I'm not so sure.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile