[Pharo-users] Analysis/Visualizations of DBs

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:04:53 EDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> we have many nice analysis and visualizations tools available (Moose,
> Roassal, ViDi, ...)
> Often it is focused on development or code. Also we have refactoring tools.
>
> What would be cool would be to have some tool for doing this on
> (relational) databases and
> included data:
>
>  - visualize databases (tables, data clusters, number of columns, ...)

I like the fact you're saying database and not datasets ;)

>  - analyze tables on satisfying some (external) business constraints
>    and consistency rules

Depending on how powerfull is your constraint system.

>  - refactoring of databases (moving, migrating colums, ...)

Hum, that one: schema migration. Probably already a lot of work on the
theory of that.

>  - easy building reports/visualizations of included data (extract, query,
> filter, ...)

Business reporting generator. Many pre-existing competition doing lots of
very cool visualisations already.

> What I think of is a tool where (after connecting to a possibly unknown
> database) you can easily
> get/build an overview on the design, quality and data of the database
> (similar to what Moose, ViDi does
> for code).
>
> Is there any research, projects, ... for data mining already in Pharo? I
> guess this could make
> up a great toolset with Pharo as a base and make it more known because in
> the software business
> relational databases play a big role.

Some have done a datathon in Paris with Pharo (Serge, Onil, Me a bit in
remote, Alexandre, Alvaro...). Had big issues opening a large file (~66GB
of CSV data).

> Any takers for the next Pharo success story? ;)

Would be nice ;)

Thierry