[Pharo-users] challenges

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Mon Mar 31 12:30:56 EDT 2014

Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I almost get book 1 ready.
>
> Now I wonder if there are challenges so I can practise more in Smaltalk.
> I know I learn the best by doing things and not just read about it.
>
> I like the most if the challenges can start at simple and get more
> complex .
>
> As example what I mean is 99 prolog/python problems
>
> Roelof

I'm not aware of anything similar.  It does look interesting and
probably something that should be looked into further.

Alternatively, sorry its not a challenge, but as a next step I highly
recommend LaserGame tutorial
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/

for which you'll should Squeak 3.9 (a predecessor to Pharo)
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/

The great thing with this is it leads you through a uniquely Smalltalk
approach to developing that is colloquially known as "developing from
within the debugger" and it shows how to use Smalltalk facilities to
refactor code as the design evolves. From the tutorial "Every step of
the process is described in detail. Even when I made mistakes. The idea
here is to show how natural it is to iterate over design and
implementation and the confidence that builds with test driven development."

This tutorial is one of the things that really hooked me into Smalltalk.

cheers -ben