[Pharo-users] still failing test - spoiler/answer

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Sun Mar 30 20:44:53 EDT 2014

Ben Coman wrote:
> Roelof Wobben wrote:
>> Ben Coman schreef op 30-3-2014 20:12:

>>> Rather than just feed you a fish, a little teaching how to fish :)
>>> I would highlight and Inspect each side of the equals sign - so you
>>> can look at each string next to the other.  Two things to think about:
>>> * commas versus periods
>>> * different types of quote marks
>>> I'll follow up with the answer in the next post.
>>> cheers -ben
>>>

>> Oke, I do not see it
>> I have now this : self assert: ('Dont panic!' shout = 'DONT PANIC!')
>> and for me it looks the same and still the test is failing.
>>
>> and the other part has changed to  ^ self asUppercase, '!'
>>
>> Roelof
>>
> This must be a little frustrating for you :)  but like a lot of things
> its a matter a "getting your eye in".
> I hope you persist. You are almost there.  You've made an additional
> change to the left hand side. I think if you again Inspect both sides
> of equals sign and compare the results it should become clear.
>
> Now as an additional learning task, the other way to "fish" is to use
> the debugger.  Highlight...
>    'Dont panic!' shout
> and from the context menu choose to Debug. Then step Into the #shout
> method.  Once the debugger has moved into the #shout method, highlight
> and Inspect the following...
>    self
>    self asUppercase
>    self asUppercase, '!'
>
> The precise answer is my next post.
> cheers -ben

You added an exclamation mark to the left hand side of the comparison
that was not there before, so presuably the left hand side ends up as
'DONT PANIC!!' since the #shout method also appends an exclamation mark
using the comma operator.
cheers -ben