[Pharo-users] Pavel's CCodeGenerator works under Windows MinGW: sweet

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Wed Mar 26 04:11:31 EDT 2014

On 26 Mar 2014, at 09:06, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goubier at cea.fr> wrote:

> Le 26/03/2014 09:03, Marcus Denker a écrit :
>>
>> On 26 Mar 2014, at 06:37, Pavel Krivanek <pavel.krivanek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Unbelievable... I stare how open source can work :-) I started this project yesterday so it can hardly translate more than the small examples and of course it had no announcement.
>>>
>>> So, CCodeGenerator is the standalone translator from Smalltalk to plain C extracted from VMMaker.
>>
>> One thing we need to do eventually is to have a SLANG that does not use the old AST and Parser… but the RB AST instead.
>
> I'm curious about that. I'll have a look to see how hard it would be to make the change (I'm deep in parser and AST land at the moment).

The nice thing would be that it would just a visitor… very similar to Opal: 1) do semantic analysis 2) a visitor emitting C code.

Later one could then even have a real intermediate representation (maybe the one of Sista?) and do some optimisation there, with all
control flow information instead of using the AST.

Ah, and there is Waterfall: http://hal.inria.fr/hal-00871353

This already contains a SLANG based on the RB AST… but compiling with native boost ASMJIT as a backend, not C.

	Marcus