[Pharo-users] Java "this" against our "thisContext"

Sergi Reyner sergi.reyner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 06:27:05 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I had a pretty heated IRC debate yesterday about how Smalltalk´s reflection
facilities are superior to those of Java, in the sense that they operate at
a higher level (I started it pasting one of those crazy snippets that got
posted to the list xD). It somehow slowly degenerated into someone trying
to convince me that Java's "this" operator is equivalent to "thisContext",
instead of "self".

My intuition says that´s wrong, but I´d very much like someone familiar
with both to offer an explanation to this poor unenlightened person :D

Cheers,
Sergi