[Pharo-users] Am not sure if that is a good idea

btc at openinworld.com btc at openinworld.com
Tue Mar 11 12:11:28 EDT 2014

Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
> anyway. Has anyone considered adding filtering to the Debugger (in my
> case the Glamorous Debugger) in a way that not all instance variables
> values are shown in the value pane?
>
> Well a kind of watch as in other debuggers. You just can "ask" to watch
> e.g field firstName but not lastName or something like that. Even if I
> try to keep the information down some classes still do have a lot of
> elements (think of articles, which usually have at least some kind of
> id, a description, a price tag, but also some other information (be it
> internal or extenal for the programm)

I still fondly remember the Watch window from Turbo Pascal 30 years
ago.  You could also define expressions that updated every step so that
you could drill down in data structures.  I don't know what that would
mean in Smalltalk terms. I guess you'd have to be more careful those
expression had no side effects, or otherwise copy the target object of
each message before it is sent.
cheers -ben