[Pharo-users] Evaluating Nautilus

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:14:02 EDT 2012

First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took
some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've
developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if
Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or
2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.

- Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything
I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for
displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not
easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you
tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
- There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something
which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
--Do you have to define a metagraph?
--May I have multiple definition panels?
-Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
-OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser
within a web browser?
- Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although
the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is
different in Nautilus?

I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how
much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?

Cheers,

Hernán

--