[Pharo-users] Dynamic graph exploration - seeking input on idiomatic smalltalk [LONG]

Patrik Sundberg patrik.sundberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:15:04 EDT 2012

I've done a bit more studying and I think a combination of SystemAnnouncer
events to catch method changes, pragmas to mark "graph nodes" and use of
method wrappers could create a very nice way to shield the user of my graph
API from thinking of identity caches and graph node details.

The other cool feature of use is the new class builder and custom slots.
For nodes that are not dynamic/calculations (what I call properties or
relationship nodes) I think custom slots could be interesting but need to
test out some ideas to organize thoughts. Obviously won't work for
calculated/dynamic nodes since I need ability to take arguments for those
and can't map to a slot. In principle all I'm after is to have an identity
map and a graph (DAG) in the background whose management is hidden away
from user so he can focus on domain logic and not graph stuff.

Going on holiday for a week and a bit, shall start experimenting after that.

P.S found some friend of friend who worked on kapital, will explore if they
use a graph etc when I get a chance.
On Jul 6, 2012 1:16 PM, "Patrik Sundberg" <patrik.sundberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> between bar and foo nodes
>>> o.bar(1).value  # -> 124
>>> # this will be a "cache lookup" since nothing in the graph that bar
>>> depends
>>> on has changed (i.e. the "expensive" calculation is not performed again
>>> o.bar(1).value  # -> 124
>>>
>>> o.foo.set_value(2)
>>> o.bar(1).value  # -> 125, realizes that foo changed and performs a recalc
>>>
>>> To accomplish this I use dynamic code generation like the below for
>>> #property and similar for other types of nodes:
>>>
>>>         # NOTE: it's a class level method, hence how I can call it when
>>> defining the class in the example
>>>
>>>         def property(name, time = CdrEnv.instance.time, &block)
>>>           clear_property(name)
>>>           getter_method_body = <<-EOF
>>>             def #{name}
>>>               init_block = self.class.property_init_block_for(:#{name})
>>>               time_for_property =
>>> self.class.property_time_dependency_for(:#{name})
>>>               if init_block.nil?
>>>                 CdrEnv.instance.get_property_node(self, :#{name},
>>> time_for_property)
>>>               else
>>>                 CdrEnv.instance.get_property_node(self, :#{name},
>>> time_for_property, &init_block)
>>>               end
>>>             end
>>>           EOF
>>>           setter_method_body = <<-EOF
>>>             def #{name.to_s}=(value)
>>>               #{name.to_s}.mutate(value)
>>>             end
>>>           EOF
>>>           class_eval getter_method_body
>>>           class_eval setter_method_body
>>>           register_property_node(name, time, &block)
>>>         end
>>>
>>> Don't worry about the details or all the unfamiliar ruby, the main point
>>> is
>>> that it creates an instance method that uses the singleton
>>> CdrEnv.instance
>>> to either get or create the node representing the property from the graph
>>> identity cache depending on if it exists or not.
>>>
>>> From a tooling point of view I think I'd love to work with this kind of
>>> thing in pharo. Building my own browsers for inspecting and debugging my
>>> dynamic graph should be very good fit. However, I'd appreciate some
>>> pointers
>>> to idiomatic smalltalk to attack this kind of problem in terms of
>>> implementing the graph itself - I obviously want the user (even if it's
>>> me)
>>> to just have to focus on the domain model and hide as much as possible of
>>> the graph bits under the covers the same way I've done with the code
>>> generation stuff in my ruby example.
>>>
>>> Any input into this would be much appreciated,
>>> Patrik
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>> Btw, the persistence backend for this is the neo4j graph database, but
>>> it's
>>> fronted by a service slotting into my own service framework built using
>>> ZeroMQ and services exchanging messages in protobuf format. One can use
>>> from any language as long as one can send protobuf messages over zeromq.