[Pharo-dev] VM crash in Pharo 8.0 during save

Shaping shaping at uurda.org
Fri May 31 07:18:50 EDT 2019

From: Pharo-dev [mailto:pharo-dev-bounces at lists.pharo.org] On Behalf Of Ben Coman
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 04:39
To: Pharo Development List <pharo-dev at lists.pharo.org>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] VM crash in Pharo 8.0 during save

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 21:21, Shaping <shaping at uurda.org <mailto:shaping at uurda.org> > wrote:

I made a few cosmetic changes (labels in Calypso).  They were working fine.  But they were not showing up in Iceberg as changes at some point.

I’d done some earlier tests with Iceberg, and was able to make dummy-method changes, and commit to the local GitHub repo.  Everything seemed to work.  At some indeterminate point, the changes I made were no longer showing in Iceberg.  Further, when I would save, the image would save and quit automatically without actually saving.  I’d relaunch, reapply the changes in the change set (Epicea), and re-save with the same results. When I tried Save As… instead, I got the above crash.

Looks like it crashed in a full garbage collection, which is something that is done when you are saving.

Its been a while since I've seen one of those have been reported.  Lately crashes have been more related to C libraries called by FFI.

Yes, that is what I expect.

Exception code: C0000005 = "access violation"

Exception addr: 0000000000433CD2
Access violation (read access) at FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

VM Version: Cog Spur VM 5.0 (release) from Jan  5 2019
Compiler: gcc 4.2.1 Compatible Clang 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final)
Interpreter Build: CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2504 uuid: a00b0fad-c04c-47a6-8a11-5dbff110ac11 Jan  5 2019
Cogit Build: StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2504 uuid: a00b0fad-c04c-47a6-8a11-5dbff110ac11 Jan  5 2019
Source Version: VM: 201901051900 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git