[Pharo-dev] VM crash in Pharo 8.0 during save

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri May 31 05:39:12 EDT 2019

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 21:21, Shaping <shaping at uurda.org> wrote:

> I made a few cosmetic changes (labels in Calypso).  They were working
> fine.  But they were not showing up in Iceberg as changes at some point.
>

> I’d done some earlier tests with Iceberg, and was able to make
> dummy-method changes, and commit to the local GitHub repo.  Everything
> seemed to work.  At some indeterminate point, the changes I made were no
> longer showing in Iceberg.  Further, when I would save, the image would
> save and quit automatically without actually saving.  I’d relaunch, reapply
> the changes in the change set (Epicea), and re-save with the same results.
> When I tried Save As… instead, I got the above crash.

Looks like it crashed in a full garbage collection, which is something that
is done when you are saving.
Its been a while since I've seen one of those have been reported.  Lately
crashes have been more related to C libraries called by FFI.

Exception code: C0000005 = "access violation"
Exception addr: 0000000000433CD2
Access violation (read access) at FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

VM Version: Cog Spur VM 5.0 (release) from Jan  5 2019
Compiler: gcc 4.2.1 Compatible Clang 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final)
Interpreter Build: CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2504 uuid:
a00b0fad-c04c-47a6-8a11-5dbff110ac11 Jan  5 2019
Cogit Build: StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2504 uuid:
a00b0fad-c04c-47a6-8a11-5dbff110ac11 Jan  5 2019
Source Version: VM: 201901051900
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
Date: Sat Jan 5 20:00:11 2019 CommitHash: 7a3c6b6
Plugins: 201901051900 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git

Primitive trace:
<snip>
at:
primitiveGarbageCollect
**FullGC**

Smalltalk stack dump:
          0xb8a948 I SmalltalkImage>garbageCollect 0x5e0aa10: a(n)
SmalltalkImage
          0xb8a990 I Bitmap class(Behavior)>handleFailingBasicNew:
0x64294d0: a(n) Bitmap class
          0xb8a9d0 M Bitmap class(Behavior)>basicNew: 0x64294d0: a(n)
Bitmap class
          0xb8aa08 M Bitmap class(Behavior)>new: 0x64294d0: a(n) Bitmap
class
          0xb8aa68 I Bitmap class>decompressFromByteArray: 0x64294d0: a(n)
Bitmap class
          0xb6f320 M Form>unhibernate 0x9366dc8: a(n) Form

> I’ve managed to crash the VM twice

Not a lot can be done by others until there is a reproducible case.
You might run a debug-vm that would allow more analysis of a crash.

Can you clarify you environment - OS Version, Pharo 32 or 64 bit ?

(I would like the installer to be more graceful about installing to any
> folder on Windows.  Can we make it so?)  Can’t run the .msi installer as
> admin and actually install.  It brings up the command line options instead.
> As far as I can find, there are no Pharo-related files left in the user
> account/Documents area.

You could have a go at adapting the installer to provide a concrete example
of what you want.
@all, where are the msi-installer sources?

> I would enter this bug at https://pharo.fogbugz.com/, but I’m not sure it
> would get quick attention there.