[Pharo-dev] Explaining Spec2 and why Bloc is on the roadmap

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri May 3 04:45:37 EDT 2019

Thanks for the background info Steph.

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 17:28, ducasse <stepharo at netcourrier.com> wrote:
> Spec 2.0 revisits fundamentally Spec.
>         - adds much better layouts (we will deprecate the interpreter design)

A very long time ago that I was debugging a Spec app was that
debugging INTO the framework from application code
would take 30 odd steps before it got to evaluate the block passed by
the application code.
Sorry thats a bit vague, but I'm hoping deprecating the interpreter
will improve such experience.

As a general comment also, architectures using stored blocks for
configuration rather than
passing in an "object with defined methods" seems a lot "less live".
Changing the code inside the block doesn't change the behaviour of
existing elements.

But maybe the "methods" way has its own issues.

cheers -ben