[Pharo-dev] Running Pharo under Ubuntu (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

Christopher Fuhrman christopher.fuhrman at inria.fr
Thu Feb 28 16:06:49 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 18:20 Esteban Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is great, do you notice any performance impact?

I didn't do any formal benchmark. The XWindows display is noticeably laggy
when you drag windows in Pharo, but I didn't find it annoying. The baseline
installs I did were not noticeably slower than what I'm used to.  I did
some testing and debugging for several hours and I forgot I was running
XSL, except for the keyboard. I haven't figured out why my quotes and
apostrophes and tildes are not right. I think I had that problem in a
lubuntu VM under Windows 10, too.

> I had to install a lubuntu VM as a workaround to the existing Iceberg
> "long file paths" issues.

Maybe the WSL method will be a useful alternative.