[Pharo-dev] The HiDPI Issue

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:52:33 EST 2019

Hello,

I know that others have posted about this before but I wanted to get the
current status.

I've recently had to buy a new laptop that came with a HiDPI display.
Generally (especially on Linux systems) this makes Pharo unusable. Though
there are font size increase and scaling options in the Pharo system
settings, these do not work as a solution -- buttons are still tiny, there
is inconsistent scaling behavior across morphic, etc. The overall problem
can be described as: in Pharo, one pixel equals one "point," and so the
interface is incredibly small on these HiDPI screens (3k etc).

These HiDPI screens are becoming more common, both as laptop and as
external displays. Their main advantage is that they can render text very
crisply. In the HN post announcing the release of P7, there were one or two
complaints about this issue. It does make it hard to demonstrate to others
(as I do often) the power of developing in Pharo.

Here are some questions I have about this issue:
1) What is the current state of affairs in dealing with this issue, if any?
2) Would this require VM changes (I assume it would)? If so, what might
those entail?
3) If this does require VM changes, I assume the Squeak people would want
in on it?
4) Is the current plan to wait for Bloc to resolve these issues and/or
would switching to Bloc resolve these issues at all anyway?
5) Related -- where can one start to learn about current VM architecture
and development practices?

That said I'm not here to just bellyache. While I don't have any VM
experience, I'm willing to jump in and try to work on it if someone can
point me in the right direction. Or perhaps this is too specialized a
task...

Thanks

--
Eric