[Pharo-dev] DisplayableObject

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 04:56:54 EST 2019

Hi Stef,

I think that the inclusion of DisplayableObject or something like that will
not help in better system design. The only thing that should really know
about how to generate forms for icons, should be the UI framework. Imagine
that we will want to use something like GTK framework with vector icons.
The model classes should ideally never produce icons themselves. We should
have maybe some class, an icon description. In the standard case, it will
only hold the selector for the icon, but then it may add some additional
data (like information about the small progress bar embedded in the icon).
In the worst case it could provide as an additional property the form for
the icon but then it will limit to use such thing effectively with other UI
frameworks (like HTML rendering).
If we will add a DisplayableObject, we will only make easier to make models
that are not strictly separated from the UI.

Cheers,
-- Pavel