[Pharo-dev] DeleteVisitor and symbolic links

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:54:21 EST 2019

Hi Everyone,

I inadvertantly changed the behaviour of DeleteVisitor in Pharo 8.
In Pharo 7 DeleteVisitor will follow all symbolic links when deleting a
directory tree.  This has two consequences:

- A symbolic link that points to its containing directory will result in
  an infinite loop.
- Files may be deleted that are NOT subdirectories of the root
  directory.

The Pharo 8 behaviour of not following symbolic links is how the linux
'rm -r' command behaves, and how I think DeleteVisitor should behave.

As Sean commented in
http://forum.world.st/File-problems-in-Pharo-8-tp5095111p5095176.html
following symbolic links can lead to unexpected behaviour, deleting
files out of the tree, and thus is quite dangerous.

But since it is a change in existing behaviour, I wanted to let everyone
know in case there's something I haven't thought of.

I'll submit a PR that updates the appropriate method and class comments
in a few days.

Cheers,
Alistair