[Pharo-dev] Roadmap for Pharo 8.0

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Fri Feb 8 15:55:34 EST 2019

NorbertHartl wrote
> On the one hand we could benefit from powerful code documentation. But
> this could conflict with the minimum image we provide where people work on
> and these tools would be missing.

Yes, this can be a complex problem. For me the key question is what's the
point of having a Dynabook if we can't even use it ourselves as developers?!
However, isn't the use case for the minimum image more for deployment? I
would think that most devs would/could work in the full image and then
deploy to the minimal, where interactive documentation would be presumably
less important. Also IIUC, in GT the interactive documentation is just
pillar underneath and so could be read in static form even if the UI engine
wasn't present e.g. as class comments. Also, it seems the full docs should
be loadable onto minimal if needed, no?

OT: I was happy to see the recent announcement of a GH-based project
catalog, but at the same time was disappointed to see it seemingly
implemented as text. I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to
complain about a nice gift, but since this subject is mildly related, I'll
just mention that IMHO it makes much more sense to have something that is a
static dump of a dynamic system like the Pharo Catalog than to have two
competing systems - one live and one not.

-----
Cheers,
Sean