[Pharo-dev] iceberg: merging branches just at the git level without changing code in the image

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Feb 5 01:13:42 EST 2019

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 01:19, Andrei Chis <chisvasileandrei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently in Iceberg to merge a branch into another, we need to checkout
> the branch into which we want to merge and then do the merge.
> Checking out a branch also updates the code in the image, which when
> needing to perform automatic releases on a branch can cause issues.
>
> Is there already a way in Iceberg to switch to a branch (for example
> `release`) and then merge another branch (for example `master`) into it
> without updating any code in the image?
> The use-case is that the user is on the `master` branch and needs to merge
> `master` into `release` without changing any code in the image.

Another use case for this might be where I recently wanted to resurrect an
old PR
to contribute to Pharo 8 and loading the old code broke the image.  I'd to
update the PR
by merging master into it without loading it.  Rebasing the old PR onto
master would be even better.

Perhaps the existing <Merge> button becomes a <Merge & Load> button
and the <Merge> button presents a dialog for any any-to-any disc-only merge
(default would be "selected" commit into the image's "current" commit)

cheers -ben