[Pharo-dev] Tonel code?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jan 14 12:20:45 EST 2018

Javier,

I have a port of Tonel to GemStone[1] that runs against both Monticello
and CypressReferenceImplementation[2]. I have yet to merge my work back
into pharo-vcs/tonel, because I'm waiting for Tonel to stabilize and
well ... I'm also busy:).

It might be useful for you to see how I've spliced in readers and
writers for both Monticello and CypressReferenceImplementation.

The CypressReferenceImplementation was written by Richard Sargent as a
non-Monticello-based package loader and has been ported to VW and
GemStone. Richard's work was based on some work that I had done in
creating a Cypress format[3] loader for Cuis[4] The
CypressReferenceImplementation is definition-based like Monticello, but
the definition model has been pared down to bare essentials. It was
written to be a reference implementation for other non-Monticello-based
Smalltalk platforms.

Unless you already have a native definition-based system you should look
at the CypressReferenceImplementation for inspiration.

Anyway, I'd be willing to answer any questions you have on the work I've
done with Tonel and the CypressReferenceImplementation and I'd
especially be interested on any improvements you migiht suggest as I'm
currently working on a second generation implementation of the
CypressReferenceImplementation called Rowan[5] that is targeted for
inclusion in the next GemStone release:)

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/tonel
[2]
https://github.com/dalehenrich/CypressReferenceImplementation/tree/portability/cypress