[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:19:33 EST 2018

Hi all,

After some analysis of current condition of development, we decided to move the upcoming release to end of the year (and not May, as usual).
The reason is that we are taking more time than expected to finish/polish a quantity of things that needs to be finish to call this a “successful release” to make us feel confortable with a release early this year.

Thing is… we were very ambitious with this version, because a lot of small pieces get into position and we decided to act.
Now, to deliver a good version, we need to finish them.

For example, along with all the stabilisation phase we need to operate on P7 (an usual task for every version), we still need to finish this important changes:

- fullblocks as default
- vm 64bits: stabilise and add win64
- stateful traits
- calypso (and nautilus removal)
- iceberg: fix the UI

We (the core team and the community) have a deep commitment with the progress of Pharo, and we will continue get things right to make the continue improvement a pleasant experience.

Say that, expect new announcement of things finished and ready to test next weeks :)

cheers!
Esteban