[Pharo-dev] Helvetia in Pharo?

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:16:17 EST 2017

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Helvetia requires a couple of things:

BTW, with Nick Papoylias we have a working version of Helvetia for
Pharo 5.0/Moose 6.0 here:
https://github.com/UMMISCO/Helvetia

We have the permissions of Lukas Renggli and Oscar Nierstrasz to port
Helvetia to recent versions of Pharo.

We are using Helvetia for our own research about Domain-Specific Languages
for complex system especially in the context of the Kendrick DSL for
epidemiology: https://ummisco.github.io/kendrick/

> - Flexible parsing. Lukas built PetitParser for this and now PetitParser2 is even faster and more powerful (for example, with bounded seas parsing) while preserving the same flexibility.
> - Flexible compilation toolchain. At the time, Lukas employed a significant amount of overrides. Now we have Opal which makes this step easier.

This has been the most difficult part of the port because the API
change a lot since the PhD of Lukas :-)
At the moment, the modifications that we have done are still a little
bit hackish and more integration with Opal has to be done in the
future.

> - Moldable development tools. GT was designed with moldability in mind so at least the debugging part should be easier to handle. We still need work in the area of syntax highlighting, completion and editing.

We will move soon the code on github so people could send pull requests.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)