[Pharo-dev] Why do we have doublequoting for "?

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Sun Feb 26 16:38:32 EST 2017

Hi Stef,

I think you are saying that having the possibility of embedding the printout as a comment is useless. But, there were people that wanted exactly that behavior without breaking the syntax highlighting. Esteban was one of them, for example.

And now we have Cmd+p,Cmd+p which does exactly what the old Cmd+p did.

What is missing?

Doru

> On Feb 26, 2017, at 10:33 PM, stepharong <stepharong at free.fr> wrote:
>
> To me it looks wrong and it breaks flow. The poor guys working on XML should just suicide with such
> behavior. You can never print anything decently.
> I think that the tools are hijacking printString and turn it into something mega strange and bogus.
> I cannot even use plain Pharo code to survive.
> 	copyReplaceAll: '""' byt: '"'
>
> Stef
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Just a clarification.
>>
>> The mechanism you mention is obtained through Cmd+p, Enter and this embeds the printout as a comment in the existing editor. This is particularly useful when you want to keep a trace of multiple executions in the same editor (typically a Playground). In order to make any string a valid Pharo comment we use String>>asComment, and this escapes “ (double-quote) inside a comment. Without it, the result would not be a valid comment and the syntax highlighting would be broken.
>>
>> For your goal of having the result in the debugger this is obviously not ideal. This is why we ended up with Cmd+p,Cmd+p, but this is not available in Pharo 5.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Feb 24, 2017, at 8:30 AM, stepharong <stepharong at free.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yuriy
>>>

>>> Why does it make sense to have "" "" inside strings?
>>>

>>> So if you paste this as a comment somewhere you don’t have to manually add double double-quotes.
>>>
>>> Did you read my example?
>>> I do not need any double double quotes.
>>>

>>> I don’t use the result of print it at all, but I guess there are two scenarios for it’s usage. One as you described: copy the result and use it in tests or in some further computation.
>>>
>>> But this is exactly what I cannot do with this stupid doubling of double quotes
>>>
>>> (but if you use TDD test are already written ;P).
>>>
>>> well...
>>>
>>> Another one is to copy the result and paste it somewhere as a comment in your code, to access it easily afterwards. If you have a double quote in your result it will break the comment, so the thing is escaped automatically.
>>>
>>> Probably but here this is inside a string.
>>> I think that this heuristic is totally bogus.
>>>

>>> Uko

>>> --
>>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Innovation comes in the least expected form.
>> That is, if it is expected, it already happened."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."