[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Woden 2 first release for OS X and Linux

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sat Feb 25 00:08:28 EST 2017

Cool news.  I'll try it out soon.

I found this paper on Lowcode to share with other curious people...
  http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2016/IWST/Papers/IWST_2016_paper_16.pdf

A few questions from that...

> our extended instructions do not perform run time type checking on their inputs, so they do not have the overhead associated to dynamic message lookup."

What happens if the wrong type object is passed to a lowcode method?

> Unfortunately, when we did this work the 64 bits version of Spur was incomplete and in an experimental state [and we were] not able to compare the performance difference for floating point arithmetics against a Smalltalk with support for immediate floating point objects

Have you been able to do this performance comparison since the paper
was written?

cheers -ben