[Pharo-dev] Pharo bootstrap with Ring and Calypso

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:01:30 EST 2017

>> The "guest" object memory runs in a special virtual machine simulator
>> during the bootstrapping. That simulator uses AST Interpreter to execute
>> the code inside the guest environment before it is installed for real. It
>> uses own special kind of proxies and tricks to do it. The current bootstrap
>> cannot run without class builder in the guest environment, but...
>>

>>> And how much smaller could the image get if the class builder was
>>> removed.
>>>

>> ...Guille in his thesis tried different approaches and he was able to
>> produce extremely small images  (~10 KiB) that did for example only a sum
>> of two numbers.
>>

> Is it future approach for bootstrap?
> How faster or slower bootstrap process with it?

That's more question for Guille, but I do not think we will adopt this
approach of bootstrapping in near future because it needs to be updated for
the Spur format and it needs a special VM modifications. And the question
is how much is it really needed because if you want to do something with
the image, you will anyway need most of methods needed for the class
builder like basic strings and collections support.