[Pharo-dev] FileTree

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 09:32:34 EST 2017

Hi Guile,

Le 18/02/2017 à 13:20, Guillermo Polito a écrit :
> We could try that... The thing is that it contains definitions of a
> Smalltalk kernel, so there are alternative Boolean classes, String
> classes, and so on... We would like to avoid conflicts in the image.

the API of FileTree is tied to the Monticello model of smalltalk code
(and the api of Monticello repositories).

The MC model of code is of interest to you because it is completely
decoupled from the code running in the image. It is just a bunch of
objects, instances of MCMethodDefinition, MCClass... etc... regrouped in
a MCVersion. What is saved, loaded and manipulated by a FileTree
repository is that structure. The use is fairly clean: save a version
(or a set of versions... with gitfiletree only) along with the
dependencies; iterate over the contents of the MCVersion and write files
/ create directories.

Reading with FileTree is the same process: read the directories / files
and recreate the MCVersion.

Now, reimplementing this gives you two strategies: look into
MCFileTreeStCypressWriter to see the core methods (the ones writing the
files out of the MCVersion items, such as #writeClassDefinition:to:).
This is not much code, but it seems more complex than it is really
because there is a lot of delegation going on and the upper Monticello
repository and writer classes are not abstract enough for FileTree.

Regards,

Thierry