[Pharo-dev] IPv6 support [VM]

Peter Uhnak i.uhnak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 07:20:20 EST 2017

Hi,

does anyone know what is the state of Pharo's IPv6 support?

I've found some discussion from 2009/2010 talking about it and making changes to the VM, but it seems incomplete.

Creating IPv6 socket seems to be supported on the VM side (and I had no failure when I modified the netType from 0 to 3 in Socket>>initialize:)

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSocket.c#L521
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/platforms/win32/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqWin32NewNet.c#L1325

However creating connection fails I guess here
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/src/plugins/SocketPlugin/SocketPlugin.c#L1151

And even if it didn't fail there, sqSocketConnectToPort accepts address in sqInt (4 bytes), and sets the type to AF_INET
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSocket.c#L736

Was the effort abandoned? Am I doing something wrong and it actually should work?

Also NetNameResolver in Pharo is IPv4 only, but that's not an issue here.

Thanks,
Peter