[Pharo-dev] Project Mirrors: ConfigurationOf vs. BaselineOf

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:01:38 EST 2017

§

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:31 AM Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
wrote:

An increasing number of projects are hosted both on an mcz repo e.g. StHub,
which loads via ConfigurationOf; and GitHub, which loads via a BaselineOf.
Do we have an elegant (i.e. not requiring copy/pasting between the config
and baseline) way of managing loading for such a project? For example, I
want to fork NeoCSV from GitHub and load my fork, but there is no BaselineOf
because the "main" repo is on StHub and the GitHub repo is a mirror (with
seemingly limited value since it doesn't seem possible to load from there).

Thanks!

I distribute all my projects through Catalog Browser and Github, no
interest on StHub. None has complained to me so far. Super easy, simple,
flexible and powerful.

The configuration that is added in metarepo loads the latest from master
branch , which I use as a stable release.I add it once per pharo version
and never both with it again. Baseline does the heavy lifting of loading
dependencies. Git tags mark the versions, independent releases in zip files
for those wanting a standalone pharo distribution with just the library in
it are also easy to make.

Version control wise, I rely completely on git.

You do not need a baseline to load a git fork into pharo because git plus
filetree can do this , but obviously one must be provided because its much
cleaner this way. Especially if the latest code is quite unstable and
buggy.