[Pharo-dev] [QA] Debugger buttons explained

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Mon Feb 6 13:39:27 EST 2017

> On 6 Feb 2017, at 18:55, Hilaire <hilaire at drgeo.eu> wrote:
>
> How will you describe these buttons in the debugger?
> Here are proposals for tooltips, please fix it, I am sure there are
> better way to write it.
>
> Proceed
> Quit the debugger and resume the execution of the method.
>
> Restart
> Reset the local variable and restart stepping at the beginning of the
> method.
>
> Into
> Step in the highlighted message, i.e. follow the sent message in its method.
>
> Over
> Execute the highlighted message, i.e. do not follow the sent message in
> its method.
>
> Through
> Execute the highlighted message, when argument is a bloc to #do:,
> #collect:, #select: #detect: step in the bloc.

That last one is not correct. It has nothing to do with specific iteration selectors. It means: stop when execution returns in one of the argument blocks. It also works for #on:error: #streamContents: or any other message that accepts blocks as argument - which is pretty cool.

Consult DebugSession for good descriptions of the actions.

This is my version/take, probably not perfect either.

Into

Step in the highlighted message, i.e. follow the sent message, taking debugger control in the method invoked.

Over

Step over the highlighted message, i.e. do not follow the sent message, taking debugger control after the method invoked returns.

Through

Step over the highlighted message, i.e. do not follow the sent message, taking debugger control after the method invoked returns or whenever execution should return inside a block used as an argument before that.

Restart

Continue

Relinquish debugger control and proceed execution from the current point of debugger control.