[Pharo-dev] WorkingSession UUID looks "sketchy"

Yuriy Tymchuk yuriy.tymchuk at me.com
Mon Feb 6 08:17:34 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I’m using the session id (Smalltalk session id) for my data recording, so I can distinguish if the recorded events came from the same session. The idea is that each time an image is started a new session is created and assigned a new UUID. Now when I started to look on the data I noticed that I have some cases where I have same session IDs with different session creation times (yes a new session is initialized with a current timestamp). The time difference for the sessions with the same UUID and a different timestamp is within 2 hours. Then another thing that I did is to group the data by the timestamp and there are no cases where I have a different ID for the same timestamp, which shows that the timestamp is a more reliable ID. Now I will deal with my data just fine, but maybe we need to look in the implementation why do we get sessions with the same IDs?

Cheers.
Uko