[Pharo-dev] Writeup: how to contribute to Pharo

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:06:55 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am now able to use iceberg on windows, thanks for the help.

But I am still a bit unsure about how the review and contribution workflow
should work.

up to pharo 6 I just load a latest image,
- load the slice from a fogbugz number and was able to review the change
- or create a slice and upload it to the inbox

in pharo 7
- what is the equivalent to "getting the latest image" (and being able to
load and review a fix),
   up to pharo 6 I just
    - load the latest image in pharolauncher (or from the command line).
    - opened the inbox repository.
    - load and review change/fix
    - throw away this change (close image without save)
    - reopen that image to move on with the next item to review.

    But now, do I have to update my local branch for every new pull request
? And how do I do this ? In other git project I would, I would
    fetch upstream, checkout master, merge with upstream/master, push the
master to my fork origin
   How should this be done with my pharo 7 fork ? (And do we only work on
the development brach instead of the master)?

   And do I this only in the command line or do I manage my fork (and keep
it up to date) from within pharo with iceberg ?
   How do I actually access the pull requests from within pharo ? Maybe I
am stupid, but I just can not find it.
   I would like do this steps, (as I was used to it from the prior
contribution process, by loading code from the inbox)
   - Just look at the changes
   - apply the changes
   - throw away this changes, and move one with the next fix review

And the same for creating a fix / pull request. Do I need to be up to date
with my own fork, or only the local copy of the pharo repository ?
Again, for pharo 6 I would just load a latest image, make my changes / code
fixes and create a slice. Save to the inbox -> done.
And looking at iceberg, I have really no clue how to upload a fix.

I see that other people are using the new process, and I feel a bit lost
and closed out of the pharo 7 development process, as I am at the moment
unable to understand how this work.
Are there any other resources I missed ?