[Pharo-dev] poor state of fuel

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:11:20 EDT 2017

Hannes,

In general it doesn't matter "how much" two images differ. What is relevant
are the changes to the graph of objects that are part of a snapshot, and
that includes changes to classes that are either part of the graph or have
instances that are part of the graph.

It is possible to reshape objects upon loading (
https://rmod.inria.fr/web/software/Fuel/Version1.9/Documentation/Migration)
but it is certainly not automatic (some automatic migrations are possible).

One particular problem that can pop up, if you fuel out methods, are
methods who's bytecode has changed. Fuel will then stop with an error.

Cheers,
Max

On 30 August 2017 at 12:56:04, H. Hirzel (hannes.hirzel at gmail.com) wrote:

On 8/30/17, Tim Mackinnon <tim at testit.works> wrote:
> Actually in my case they are similar but not identical images.

Good to know a slightly different image still can cope with a fuel
file written by another image.

Probably the results depends on which types of objects you have written.

Not sure about the influence of changes in class definitions.

--Hannes