[Pharo-dev] [ Pharo 70 ] Build 52 to 54

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Aug 24 08:16:50 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Guillermo Polito <
guillermopolito at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Please, do not relaunch the build if there is a test failure. That
> simply does not fix the problem, it just adds noise. There are two
> problems:
>
> 1) we have some sporadic test failures (sometimes network, sometimes
> some mutex or delay issues). They do not happen all the time and
> that's why sometimes there is one or two failing tests. We should
> detect these tests and fix them to be more robust
>
>    >> Note, is there some brave soul that would like to take action here?
>
> 2) sometimes the vm crashes while running the tests. We should detect
> the bug and fix it.
>
>    >> Note, is there some brave soul that would like to take action here?
>
> Now, if we are integrating a fix, this means that the PR was **already
> validated as green**. That means that the integrated commit can be
> bootstrapped and tested (and all tests are green).
>
> Moreover, running the tests after integration (and its build color)
> does not change the integration in itself: the commit was already
> merged and pushed into the main branch, so even if it fails always,
> it's too late.

I thought the idea of CI was to merge into the main branch *after* the
tests pass.
Why is the PR-branch not checked out to run the tests on...?
   https://help.github.com/articles/checking-out-pull-requests-locally/

cheers -ben

So, relaunching the build does not really change