[Pharo-dev] Lowering the pain of newbies

Peter Uhnák i.uhnak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:39:36 EDT 2017

I'd prefer to not use `setName:` nor `setClassName:` as `setX:`/`setX:Y:`
is often used as a constructor initialization pattern (as per Kent Beck's
Smalltalk book).

Using `className:` could be confusing, as it could be unclear whether you
are changing the name of the class itself, or the name of the class of the
class (the "Class class" class :)).
Maybe `changeNameTo:` to explicitly state the intent?

> It indirectly becomes some sort of "reserved word" of the language.

Class has many such methods (and I've destroyed my image many times before
I subconsciously learned to avoid them), but only name tends to be
problematic so introducing "special" methods for meta methods seems
pointless, as a person doing metaprogramming would (must) take the care
anyway to distinguish on which side they are working on.

Peter