[Pharo-dev] Github and Fogbugz integration

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 16:40:22 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
wrote:

> > I see little reason not to allow both ways of reporting bugs.
> It seems that the need to create an account in FB to even view/search
> issues has been a big barrier to new(er) would-be contributors. I expect
> this difficulty would be multiplied since, in the process of reporting a
> bug on GH, they would not be able to easily determine if it had already
> been opened on FB

Tons of issues are reported in GH that are closed minutes as the issue they
report does not even exist. Closing an issue is just a matter of pressing a
button and you can always redirect the user to the issue in FB.

Frankly I am no fan of FB, I find Github interface less powerful but far
simpler and better designed. What annoyed me is that fogbuz did not even
subscribed me to my own issues (issues I created) . I did not go back
because I thought people ignored me , then one day I decided to create a
new bug report and found out that people have replied almost immediately to
my old ones. Then I realised that Fogbuz did not alert me through email ,
then I dig up its settings and found the way enable email alerts. Suffice
to say I was not very happy with this.

I prefer GH also because I have already been using it with Python way
before I was introduced into Pharo, so its not just newcomer who will
prefer GH , I think the vast majority of people coming from other languages
will do too. GH is almost a monopoly at this point.

Pretty much every one says moving to git and github will be costly , like
Stef just did. Blender made the move I think a year ago, so much noise in
the mailing list whether its really worth it moving from svn to git more
than 1 million line of code and more than a decade of commits. Later
admitted it was far easier than they expected.

Point is that people are lazy, we are just are, and we like to keep doing
things we are familiar with because learning is hard. Problem is not
learning is far more costly.

I have been a defender of git and github in the pharo mailing lists for
years now even though many resisted me and tried to convince me how Pharo
and git will never properly work and here we are, not regretting a second
of it and I am sure that other people who were supportive too dont either.

But I never forced my opinion on anyone and I wont now. I am just saying ,
if I have the choice between github and fogbuz, for me its github all the
way. Likewise if its iceberger vs gitup , gitup all the way.

On the other hand , its great to live in a time having so many choices ;)