[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo 6.1 (summer) released!

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 10:58:07 EDT 2017

Hi Tim,

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 4:08 AM, Tim Mackinnon <tim at testit.works> wrote:
>
> Thanks Marcus - and definitely we all appreciate that its holiday season and that a lot of this is driven by community and people donating their free time.
>
> I’m still a bit unclear on the moving parts. To paraphrase what you have said:
>
> We start each yearly cycle with a X.0 new release. Then there may be point releases 6.1, 6.2 etc where there is a breaking change (typically a new VM I guess - but is there anything else that would cause a .x release?).

Ignoring plugins, since VMs are backward compatible, new VMs are never breaking changes.  A new vm may have a bug in it, but that would be superseded with a fixed vm asap, the previous good vm being used until that time.  But we never release a new vm that won't run old image, except in a major release cycle, and even then not every release cycle.  The VM is much like a real processor which always runs code in its instruction set but new instructions get added from time to time.

The change from Squeak/Pharo 4.x to 5.x was a major change (Spur memory manager).  But now we're back in the regime of backward compatibility in which the 6.x VMs will happily run 5.x images.

But indeed this simple story might be violated by important plugins.