[Pharo-dev] Anybody using Orca Smalltalk to JavaScript?

Frank-B frank.berger.software at web.de
Mon Aug 14 13:45:40 EDT 2017

Hello Craig,

this approach just as Bert's VM in the browser is/are certainly technically
very interesting projects and now comes the big "BUT":

- I see absolutely no sense in this approach for real-world end-user
applications
- especially if their sources MUST be closely connected with existing
Smalltalk code, which does not run in the client like all the data-driven
model definitions etc that I already have
- the Morph UI is out of any question related to what end-users expect
(pardon, but end-users would regard this as a bad joke)
- the esponsivness of such a solution in the browser must always be far
slower than any "normal" browser UI
- and it's impossible to port my >10.000 framwork and application classes to
Squeak.

There are several more reasons, why this would conflict with my future
plans, which I do not want to disclose here.

So, I see only academic reasons for this work.

I do thank you for your answer. Should my view be copletely wrong, please
let me know.

Best regards
Frank