[Pharo-dev] Creating the smallest server runtime footprint

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Mon Aug 7 10:26:41 EDT 2017

Hey thanks again - it looks like that file is from Build #25 (I think Jenkins might cache the last 5 builds from the looks of it).

Interestingly that image is 2mb smaller than the later ones (which is helpful) - however when I try to use it, I get a walkback because Metacello wasn’t available in that build.

(I then tried with build  #29 the latest? and #28) - and then I get an error as it seems that the Locale class is not defined in that one?

'Errors in script loaded from minimal.st'
MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "currentPlatform" is nil
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #currentPlatform
LanguageEnvironment class>>currentPlatform
LanguageEnvironment class>>defaultSystemConverter
TextConverter class>>defaultSystemConverter
MultiByteFileStream>>converter
MultiByteFileStream>>nextPut:
MultiByteFileStream(WriteStream)>>cr
UndefinedObject>>DoIt

So I guess the timing of my question was spot on as it looks like I’ve been running with build #27 for a few days (without realising I had cached it) and that one works.

I would be interesting in working out how to get metacello in build #25 as its smaller size is attractive (assuming its not metacello support that adds 3mb to the image size), Do you think its worth it? Can I use the command line package loader to shoe-horn it in?

Tim