[Pharo-dev] [IMPORTANT] Following changes in the bootstrapping process

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Wed Aug 2 12:25:14 EDT 2017

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>>> - Deprecated FileStream & childs (Moved to Deprecated70)
>>
>> *Counts direct references to FileStream & subclasses in a 6.1 Moose
>> image*
>> Brave souls!
>
> It means that Moose will have to update. These classes are not gone
> just deprecated.

Not just Moose, also all the packages it depends on.
Included in said image, at a cursory glance;
- Metacello
- Fuel
- SmaCC
- Beacon
- Fame
- Grease
- PetitParser2
- Roassal2
- Rubric

And that's just a quick count of the *direct* FileStream references, not
including the majority of cases requiring rewrites as a result of FileHandle
write/readStream now returning a pure binary stream / API of Zn stream being
different from old File streams.

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>> I hope the migration guide will be up to snuff, or I imagine a large
>> percentage will be staying on 7.0 for a looong while :)
>
> Henrik did you mean 6.0?

Deprecated in 70 means slated for removal in 80 / only deprecation warnings
on use in 7.0, no?
So going to 7.0 will still be possible in most cases, with warnings turned
off.
8.0 is where the leap will be.

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> We would to resurrect andre automatic evolver. But well this is work
> when we do not know
> how to set it up.

Like I said, brave souls!

Cheers,