[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo bootstrap

Christophe Demarey christophe.demarey at inria.fr
Tue Jan 19 09:29:04 EST 2016

Hi all,

In case you do not know, we work on bootstrapping Pharo, i.e. create a Pharo image from sources, not based on a previous image (well, we use a pharo image to produce it but no code / state from it).

This process will allow to define a minimal Pharo kernel (currently 52 packages but we could have it far smaller) and to modularize the whole image (currently packages have too much dependencies on packages already loaded into the image).
The bootstrap process also allows to write down the recipe to initialize a new image from scratch (some code is missing in the image or is wrong). In addition, I think we will clean a lot of historical objects that are not used anymore.

With the amazing work done by Guillermo Polito during his Phd (around Espell, Oz): https://guillep.github.io/files/publications/Poli15Thesis.pdf, we succeeded to get a first prototype of a bootstraped Pharo 5 image (from 5.392).
This prototype is able to run an eval command line handler and to log output / errors. Not all classes are yet initialized and you cannot yet save / restart this image but it is a big step forward.
It is a 4 mb image (could be half the size without unicode data). You can download it at: http://chercheurs.lille.inria.fr/~demarey/pmwiki/pub/pharo-bootstrap/pharo-bootstrap.zip.

Next steps are to have a bootstrapped image fully working, then to load packages on top of it (like network, sunit) to produce a minimal image.
Then, we need to implement an Oz VM on top of Spur.
After that, we need to work on a reliable way to build the bootstrap (not too sensitive to changes in the image).

Christophe.

-------
demarey at 193-51-236-143:~/dev/rmod/bootstrap/bootstrap-2016-01-19$ ../pharo bootstrap.image --no-default-preferences eval "1 + 1"
2
demarey at 193-51-236-143:~/dev/rmod/bootstrap/bootstrap-2016-01-19$ ../pharo bootstrap.image --no-default-preferences eval "'a' , 'b'"
'ab'
demarey at 193-51-236-143:~/dev/rmod/bootstrap/bootstrap-2016-01-19$ ../pharo bootstrap.image --no-default-preferences eval "1 / 0"
ZeroDivide
SmallInteger>>/
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
OpalCompiler>>evaluate
OpalCompiler(AbstractCompiler)>>evaluate:
SmalltalkImage>>evaluate:

EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)
no source in EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>evaluate: in Block: no source
BlockClosure>>on:do:
EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>evaluate:
EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>evaluateArguments
EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>activate
EvaluateCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:

BasicCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)
no source in PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand: in Block: no source
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleSubcommand
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleArgument:

BasicCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)
no source in PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: no source
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:

PharoCommandLineHandler class>>no (source is Undeclared)
no source in PharoCommandLineHandler class>>activateWith: in Block: no source
NonInteractiveUIManager(UIManager)>>defer:
PharoCommandLineHandler class>>activateWith:
no source in BasicCommandLineHandler>>activateSubCommand: in Block: no source
BlockClosure>>on:do:
BasicCommandLineHandler>>activateSubCommand:
BasicCommandLineHandler>>handleSubcommand
BasicCommandLineHandler>>handleArgument:
no source in BasicCommandLineHandler>>activate in Block: no source

SmallInteger>>no (source is Undeclared)

UndefinedObject>>no (source is Undeclared)

AbstractCompiler>>no (source is Undeclared)

SmalltalkImage>>no (source is Undeclared)

BlockClosure>>no (source is Undeclared)

EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)

EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)

CommandLineHandler class>>no (source is Undeclared)

BasicCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)

BasicCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)

PharoCommandLineHandler>>no (source is Undeclared)

UIManager>>no (source is Undeclared)

UndefinedObject>>no (source is Undeclared)

CommandLineUIManager>>no (source is Undeclared)

SmalltalkImage>>no (source is Undeclared)

DelayMicrosecondScheduler>>no (source is Undeclared)

BlockClosure>>no (source is Undeclared)

SmalltalkImage>>no (source is Undeclared)

WeakArray class>>no (source is Undeclared)

ps: source cannot be displayed because there is no formatter available in the bootstrap