[Pharo-dev] Logging API discussion

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:55:55 EDT 2016

> What I am talking about is that I don't want create MySpecialLog for any
>> MySpecialDomainObject which I want to log.
>>

> Traits?
>
> Put you logging api in a Trait instead of Object and let your
> MySpecialDomainObject use this trait ?

Really?
Try remember usual workflow when we investigate some problems with code
when we can't use debugger. We put kind of "Transcript show:" in multiple
places to see state of our objects at concrete point of time. With object
logging we will log our objects directly without converting to strings. Do
you want to stop your "debugging workflow" every time you need to log
objects which not support it? (to add special trait).

But anyway with Trait you can't add timestamp to your domain object which
is always required for logs (I think we all agree about timestamp).