[Pharo-dev] TxText model

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Wed Apr 6 13:31:05 EDT 2016

> What are the main problems with Text, Paragraph, ... and other old
> TextComponents?
> And how are these solved with TxText?
> Stephan Eggermont wrote
>> |t1 t2 ball page|
>> page := Morph new.

Yes, this example brackets the situation quite nicely. The current text
system "makes hard things easy, and the easy things impossible". Text
winding around little Morphic tubes, while the coolest thing ever, is rarely
useful, but try changing the caret and you will end up in hell:

	[rant]I find the whole text system very confusing. What the heck does a
paragraph know about insertion points?? A view has one paragraph object,
even if there are several paragraphs (as understood by the rest of humanity
as a block of text with breaks between the adjoining ones. Editors and
Paragraphs are thrown out and replaced on a whim. I'm finding it very hard
to understand and modify[/rant] [1]

	[rant]
	Of course, the instant I touched Paragraph/XxxEditor, and friends I got
lost down the rabbit hole of incomprehensibility... like Paragraph, which
draws the cursor and keeps track of the selection, obviously... not! wtf ?!

	Quick definition...
	paragraph |ˈparəˌgraf|
	noun
	a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single
theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

	Where, tell me, does it say anything about cursors and selections??
	[/rant] [2]

1.
http://forum.world.st/Customizing-the-Caret-of-a-PluggableTextMorph-tt4640245.html#a4641043
2. http://forum.world.st/Re-Vim-Keys-tt4657381.html#a4657594