[Pharo-dev] TxText model

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 04:36:32 EDT 2016

> On 6 April 2016 at 10:07, Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A damn lot, I can tell you.

>> What are the main problems with Text, Paragraph, ... and other old
>> TextComponents?

Thanks Igor.
Maybe some more Info? (I don't have much experience with this and don't
fully understand what is missing).

> 1. No support for vector graphics

I know some parts of Athens (with Cairo font renderer and how it is used in
TxText) but at the moment
rendering a TextMorph in Athens works:
Morph comment asText asMorph openInSceneView
I don't see where the models (Text vs. TxText) is the problem.

> 2. Most operations are bound to text size.

In what use cases is this a problem ? (Paragraph and DisplayScanner have
good support for justified text (left / right / center), indentation
wrapping and (I don't know if this works in pharo anymore but squeak had)
even filling text in arbitary shaped polygons ( that was pretty cool).
And even for  text of different size and with different emphasis.

>> And how are these solved with TxText?
>>

> 1. By implementing new view, rendered by Athens

Ok ,but this could have be done (or is done) with the old Text class as
well (no?)

> 2. By introducing new model for storing text to overcome mentioned
> limitations.

But this is exactly what I don't understand. How is storing the text in
TxText model better than the old Text.
Given that we don't have any (beside TxWorkspace) tools actually using this
model.
I have a faint idea how TxText could be easier for building advanced tools,
but I don't see that this
model is a crucial point in developing good/better tools for text editing.