[Pharo-dev] [ bloc ] I do not understand why some behavior is not in the right place

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:35:17 EDT 2016

> On 5 April 2016 at 17:27, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 5 April 2016 at 16:29, Aliaksei Syrel <alex.syrel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Now let's take a look at this code:
>>>
>>> drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas

>>> You may be curious why it is so ugly :) Make it work - make it right -
>>> make it fast. We are on the first etappe, because I invested zero time in
>>> rendering stuff.
>>>
>>> What you see is the minimal amount of cairo primitive calls that are
>>> needed to render not overlapping fill and stroke. Clipping is needed to
>>> make sure that stroke does not get rendered outside of a path. Group is
>>> needed to have transparent target in order to make source paint mode work
>>> as expected. Compared to image_surface group, it in this case allows to
>>> preserve clip and current cairo state which is pushed to stack during
>>> push_group and restored during pop_group_to_source. fillPreserve allows to
>>> reuse the same path as used for clipping before saving cpu time on loading
>>> path.
>>>
>>> Yes, i understand that. You are forced to do that. And it is ugly not
>> because of all you listed above, it ugly because you could just use a
>> cascade:
>>
>> aCanvas setPaint: self shape fillPaint;
>>   fillPreserve;
>>    paintMode source;
>>    setStrokePaint: self shape strokePaint;
>> stroke
>>
>> (something like that)
>> but yeah.. that can wait .. since it is still work in progress. I agree.
>>

>>> It is implemented in canvas specific method after dispatch though
>>> canvas, so we are allowed to use canvas specific api, for example groups.
>>>
>>> How to model stroke, fillPreserve and paintModein terms of Athens?
>>>

>> A good question. And i don't have an answer to it , ready for you.
>> 1. Stroke can be expressed as a special kind of paint. And that how its
>> done in Athens.
>>
>> 2. What fillPreserve is, is can't find it in source code? Some
>> hot-swapping and preserving context state , i guess.
>>
>> 3. As for paint mode, it is already in Athens, so why you asking? You
>> don't like how it is done or what?
>>

> or maybe you meant how to group those operation and express them as
> command group?
> I have no simple answer here. Because this is root points of the core of
> graphics engine. From one side, you want such things be exposed to user,
> and from other you want a higher dimension concepts/operations to be
> allowed by combining those.
> There's no simple way. I would just stop at this level, letting user to
> decide how he wants to play with those pieces to achieve results he wants.

Grouping and Context save/restore are good additions - I think.

But it is true, that we should care about the api of Athens and not just
add things that happens to be possible, because we use cairo as a backend.

I made some fixes for AthensBalloon (not all are integrated yet, some parts
are just experimental and needs more tests), the idea is to have
AthensBalloon at least not crash or throwing  errors, even if not all
features are supported.
But at the moment, no one cares about non-cairo-athens. All users just
directly use AthensCairoCanvas/AthensCairoSurface.
I had a bug report for discussion about how to make some kind of factory
that would create the appropriate Athens backend.

Is there still some interest on AthensBalloon or to make athens more
independent from cairo?