[Pharo-dev] [ bloc ] I do not understand why some behavior is not in the right place

Andrei Chis chisvasileandrei at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:21:28 EDT 2016

Hi Stef,

Currently there was a distinction between Shape and Path which turn out to
be confusing. So Shape will go away and there will be just a Path (line,
circle, rectangle, etc).  We started to refactor this during the PharoDays.
And yes, Rectangle will be polymorphic with Path.

BlElement does support clipping and click detection by paths but right now
they were implicit and you needed to subclass BlElement to override them
independently. We'll change this so one can set them independently in
BlElement.

Yes, BlElement had a default path for drawing but that will go away. By
default BlElement will have an empty drawOn... method. So to create a
custom widget you can subclass BlElement, override drawOn... and use the
canvas to draw anything you wish.

There will be a subclass of BlElement that will add more drawing oriented
logic but BlElement will be independent of that.

Yes, the API of the canvas is not perfect but we're improving.

Cheers,
Andrei