[Pharo-dev] TxText model

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 10:03:31 EDT 2016

>>> ideas about what it does or requires. From that perspective you appeal to
>>> wrong person. On your place i would be asking a guy who knows Pillar
>>> innards about it.
>>> Forgive my ignorance.. but i am not omniscient.
>>>

>> False humility doesn't work there, Igor :)
>>

> But i don't know what Pillar is. Never used it. I'm not lying here. I seen
> people doing something with it time to time.. but never got my eyes on it.
> Or would you prefer that i would pretend that i know something and can
> continue discussion about things related to it? Waving hands, pointing to
> milestones, drawing diagrams? :)

Yes, diagrams :) Ok, I don't know that much Pillar in details myself;
except as one of those things where some of your characters in the text are
used to build a layout on a target.

>>> turing-complete environment. Taking shortcuts etc etc yadda yadda. Now do
>>> such statements alone can bring us anywhere closer to grand goals and grand
>>> projects?
>>> Nope. Only hard day to day work could bring us there.. Not talks about
>>> how cool we are.
>>>

>> Hard day to day work, yes. But if you make it that uninteresting, yes,
>> I'm sure we will never get there :)
>>
>> Okay, let me elaborate what was the whole point behind TxText project.
> It was part of work we were doing to migrate from old Canvas & BitBlt
> Morphic rendering towards vector-based rendering using Athens. Basically in
> a nutshell TxText is a model and rendering engine for text rendering.

I'd say it is more: it is an interactive model for text editing and
rendering. How much of it is "interactive" by opposition to pure rendering?
Can they be easily separated?

> Does it means it can serve as a base of full-fledged word processing
> software in a future? Sure thing. Why not?

Ok.

> But does it means i should care or have interest in pursuing that
> direction? No. It is not on my radar and not among my interests.

You made that point clear :)

Regards,

Thierry