[Pharo-dev] [bloc] shape size?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 00:15:57 EDT 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 20:59, stepharo <stepharo at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 2/4/16 17:31, Aliaksei Syrel a écrit :
>
> You don't want to draw a shape, you configure it. Shape can not be drawn,
> it is not an AthensPath.
>
> cell shape: (BlShape new
>   path: BlCirclePath new;
>   strokePaint: (BlStrokePaint new
>      paint: Color blue;
>      width: 1)).
> cell extent: 50 at 50.
>

> But this is not what I want! As I mentioned in a mail that was sent but
> never arrived.
> I want a square and this is why I did
>
> BlCell>>initialize
>     super initialize.
>     self
>         shape:
>             (BlShape new
>                 fillPaint: (BlColorPaint new color: (Color yellow));
>                 path: BlRectanglePath new);
>         extent: self extent
>

> then I want to draw something extra this is why I overrode
> drawOnAthensCanvas: aCanvas
>
> Now I stop but I find bloc too complex.
>
> Sorry but I cannot lose time like that and just get frustrated at the end.
> I will use the athens canvas directly and stay in morph for now.

I think there's a bit of misconception.
In Athens, shape representing any area you wanna fill with paint. Period.
It can be of any complexity, self-intersecting yadda yadda.. the main point
is that it defines a region(s), that going to be filled with chosen paint
during draw operation.
>From perspective of morphs, as UI elements, most of them require some
shape(s) to represent themselves on the screen. But there are morphs, that
while still taking part in UI, don't need any shapes since they never drawn
on the screen.
Another point is that nowhere said that morph can be represented by a one
and only one shape period. Because as in your case, you want to, say, draw
rectangle with paint A, and circle with paint B, then you basically need
two different shapes (overlapping or not - not really matters) to represent
morph on the screen.

So, the first point in misconception comes from 'self shape:'..
It is wrong from that perspective, because it is all fine, when morph using
only single shape to represent itself.. but when you need multiple shapes,
you are in trouble. It at least misleading, because provoking you to think
that there can be only one.

Then you need to invent a 'composite shape' that basically a collection of
shapes for a single morph, that will represent it on the screen.

A tangent to that, is that since most of morphs has mostly static
geometry/topology and changing it very rarely and much less often comparing
to drawing same shape(s) over and over again, it is right thing to define
and initialize shape(s) and reuse them later in #draw method. Since you
don't change shape(s), you don't have to generate new object(s).
>From that perspective, this is nice, resource saving, approach.
But let us not forget, that this is just a 'statistical observation' and
hence good to be a default setup. But it should not dictate you the rule(s).
You should still be able to define shape(s) on the fly or change it on the
fly, dynamically.

Another problematic is that you may want to use different shapes for
a) painting morph on screen
b) defining geometry of the morph for UI interactions.
As an example, let say, you want a rectangle with circle in centre on the
screen, but also want morph to react on mouse over/clicks only if mouse
cursor is inside a circle, but not when it's over an area covered by
rectangle.

What it means, that from UI perspective, you want from morph to define its
shape, lets call it 'UI interaction shape'.. and from that perspective
'self shape:' is a good choice. But as example says, it has nothing to do
with 'drawing shape(s)', which may or may not coincide with shape you using
for UI interaction(s).

Because it defines an area, where UI stuff could happen. And indeed, you
really need one, and only one. You don't need multiple shapes there, since
it serves to answer a simple question: 'are my mouse in interesting region
or not'?.
Like in your case, when you having box with circle inside , which is two
shapes, but only one shape that can define an interesting region, it could
be:
- intersection of
- union
- subtraction

And that could be completely different from shape(s) you may need to draw
it on the screen.

Stef

--
Best regards,