[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: Initial versions for OSWindow and Woden

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 02:01:15 EDT 2014

On 31 May 2014 14:42, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 08:34:47PM +0800, btc at openinworld.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ronie,  This is really exciting (and I've cross-posted to vm-dev). I
> > guess this will help multi-monitor displays to have a window on each
> > monitor?
> >
> > Ronie Salgado wrote:
> > >Hello There,
> > >
> > >I have been working in OSWindow, which is a cross platform API for
> > >dealing with native operating system windows. This API requires using
> > >a custom VM and the library SDL2.
> > >
> > >With this API, even the main Pharo window is handled almost completely
> > >in image side using NativeBoost.
> > >
> > >The only support required from the VM is a small periodical check in
> > >the heartbeat about the presence of events. This no more than 10 lines
> > >of code.
> >
> > Is there much you needed to change/delete from the existing VM window
> > initialization.  Since the VM is shared with other Smalltalk platforms,
> > how compatible would this be to maintain in parallel with the existing
> > VM windows initialization?
> > cheers -ben
> >

> What are the 10 lines of code required to provide the VM support?

speaking about numbers,
it is like
+ 10 lines of new code in C
and
- 10000 lines of old code in C in exchange of 1/100 of smalltalk code in
image.

sure, numbers are not precise, but you can just make a diff in git to
measure.

The overall idea is to let the image decide what is the best way to do i/o
with OS windowing API (if it has one), not the VM.

Dave

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.