[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Wed Apr 30 16:14:21 EDT 2014

sebastian at flowingconcept.com wrote
> Then it’s a failed decision as Reddit reactions proves.

I think that's a bit premature. The reaction on Reddit was because there was
no mention on the Pharo site/release-notice of Smalltalk *anywhere*. There
was no path to take people from the sound bite to the full picture (I'm
writing some thoughts on that right now and will start a separate thread).

You don't wave the white flag after losing one battle! And certainly not
when the evidence of losing even that battle is a few commenters on Reddit!
We learned an important lesson - if we're not going to provide people with a
neat little pink plane Smalltalk box to put Pharo in, then we better have
some good answers as to what it /really/ is when they start investigating.
Each one of those criticisms is an opportunity. The useful question is -
what supporting explanation on the website would have taken their initial
curiosity, possibly enabled by not being turned off by a misunderstanding of
the word "Smalltalk", and guided them down the path of understanding the
fuller picture that - it is an environment, and a library, and a dialect of
the Smalltalk language.

-----
Cheers,
Sean